Doors with Dynamat Extreme
The doors of the 406 Coupé had already Focal Plain Chant and some Akasa Pax Mate applied has I have written before. It made a difference, I mean the Plain Chant is quite thick. 3 and a half pieces of Plain Chant were added to each door.
Adding Dynamat Extreme to the doors took me two days. I was very careful to test how much clearance I had with the windows up or down. I studied the movements of the window elevator, door locks, handle and so on. This would guarantee that everything would keep working and fit after applying Dynamat.
Dynamat Extreme is made of butyl and aluminum. It's self adhesive and quite easy to apply, no need to add heat, just press the mat with a roller and you're done. I removed the water guard, cleaned the metal with a soft degreaser so that I would have no issues with Dynamat bonding with the metal.
I started to apply Dynamat to the outer door skin first as this would be easier and, fortunately the 406 has quite a lot of space to work.
Under the outer door shock absorber (the flat piece that looks like yellow styrofoam) I haven't done anything. There is little space there and since it's safety related is better to leave it alone.
Now the hard part, the inner door skin. You have full access to it, but you either remove everything (door locks, etc), fully apply Dynamat and then cut some holes in it, wasting a lot of material, or you will do it as I did, cutting small pieces of Dynamat and applying it slowly to get full coverage for the best results. It won't look pretty though.
Near some of the holes that allow access to the window and the door lock on the outer door skin I folded some of the Dynamat and applied it on both sides to increase the door strength and guarantee a good damping of the metal. I could close this holes with some TacMat or something similar, but I don't think the difference will be that noticeable since I'm already going for full coverage of the exposed metal.
And here's the final result after applying Dynamat Extreme on the right side door. Doesn't look pretty, but the results are amazing. The door now sounds like a bank vault when closing and not like a flimsy piece of tin.
The same was done on the left door, no pictures were taken as the work done was pretty much a carbon copy of the right door.
Done in 18 of July, 2007 at 20:00